Saturday, August 15, 2009

Kates Playgroung Tjeans

Medieval Village - Ceres




The Monte dei Cappuccini is a hill that rises behind the city of Torino on the right bank of the Po near the bridge Piazza Vittorio Veneto .

This hill was used for defensive purposes since ancient times as one of the above crossings Po The first news of the presence of a church dating back to XIII century .

The name "Monte dei Cappuccini" comes from the grant to Capuchin use of this area by Savoy in second half of the sixteenth . Also at that time the Savoy commissioned the construction of a church with the convent.

The works for the Capuchin church, which was dedicated to Marian devotion , were started in 1583 , the original project Ascanio Vitozzi based on a centrally planned building in a Greek cross, was then made by the engineer mannerist Giacomo Soldati . The painter Isidoro Bianchi of Champion Italy you created numerous paintings over the years 1630 - 1633 . The main altar is the work of Carlo and Amedeo di Castellamonte .
The project was completed in 1656
, the year of consecration of the building. In seven hundred were then added some valuable paintings.

During the Napoleonic period, with the suppression of monastic orders, the monastery was temporarily used for other purposes and restructured.

Nell ' eight hundred the dome was built in the octagonal as well as can be seen today.

Severely damaged by bombing during the WWII , the complex has been recently restored.

Currently, besides being back seat of a convent, houses the National Museum of the Mountain and the headquarters of the Italian Alpine Club Turin.



View Larger Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment